Metering Mode Selection
You can select one of four methods to measure the subject brightness.
Press the button ().
Select the metering mode.
- Watch the top LCD panel or look through the viewfinder as you turn the dial.
General-purpose metering mode suited even for backlit subjects. The camera adjusts the exposure automatically to suit the scene.
Effective where there are much brighter lights around the subject due to backlight, etc.
Effective when metering a specific part of the subject. The spot metering circle will be displayed in the viewfinder.
Metering over the entire area is averaged, with the center of the viewfinder weighted more heavily.
By default, the camera will set the exposure as follows.
With , holding down the shutter button halfway locks the exposure (AE lock) after the camera focuses with One-Shot AF. With / / , exposure is set at the moment the picture is taken (without locking the exposure value when the shutter button is pressed halfway).
- You can link spot metering to all AF points by setting [1: Spot meter. linked to AF pt] to [Linked to active AF point] ().
- With [2: AE lock meter. mode after focus] (), you can set whether or not to lock the exposure (AE lock) when focus is achieved with One-Shot AF.
By specifying multiple areas for spot metering, you can determine an overall exposure level based on the average of your selected areas. Multi-spot metering is available in , , and modes.
Set the metering mode to (spot metering).
Press the button ().
- Aim the spot metering circle over each area for exposure comparison, one after another, and press the button in each area.
Relative exposure levels of each spot metering area are displayed at right in the viewfinder. These levels are averaged to obtain the current exposure level.
- While referring to the three points on the exposure level indicator, you can set exposure compensation in this state and determine the final exposure level for the desired result.
- Spot metering with up to eight points is possible.
Stored exposure values are cleared in the following cases.
- When the metering timer elapses after the last spot metering ()
- When you press any of these buttons: , , , , , , or
- Multi-spot metering is available even when [1: Spot meter. linked to AF pt] is set to [Linked to active AF point] ().