Av: Aperture-Priority AE
In this mode, you set the desired aperture value and the camera sets the shutter speed automatically to obtain the standard exposure matching the subject brightness. A higher f/number (smaller aperture hole) will make more of the foreground and background fall within acceptable focus. On the other hand, a lower f/number (larger aperture hole) will make less of the foreground and background fall within acceptable focus.
stands for Aperture value (aperture opening).
(With a low aperture value: f/5.6)
Sharp foreground and background
(With a high aperture value: f/32)
Set the shooting mode to .
- Press the button and turn the or dial to select .
Set the desired aperture value.
- Watch the top LCD panel as you turn the dial.
Focus on the subject.
- Press the shutter button halfway.
- The shutter speed is set automatically.
Check the display and shoot.
- As long as the shutter speed is not blinking, the standard exposure will be obtained.
If the “30"” shutter speed blinks, it indicates underexposure.
Turn the dial to decrease the aperture value (open the aperture) until the shutter speed blinking stops or set a higher ISO speed.
If the “8000” shutter speed blinks, it indicates overexposure.
Turn the dial to increase aperture value (close the aperture) until the shutter speed blinking stops or set a lower ISO speed.
Aperture value display
- The higher the value, the smaller the aperture opening will be. The aperture value displayed varies depending on the lens. If no lens is attached to the camera, “00” will be displayed for the aperture.
Press the depth-of-field preview button to stop down the lens to the current aperture setting and check the area in focus (depth of field).
- The larger the aperture value, the wider the area (from the foreground to the background) in focus, but the darker the viewfinder display.
- The depth-of-field effect is readily apparent on the Live View image as you change the aperture value and press the depth-of-field preview button ().
- Exposure is locked (AE lock) as you hold down the depth-of-field preview button.
- Pressing the depth-of-field preview button when a Speedlite 470EX-AI is attached with the switch set to (full-auto) starts AI.B full-auto distance measurement.