You can select the AF operation characteristics to suit the shooting conditions or subject. In Basic Zone modes, the optimum AF operation is set automatically for the respective shooting mode.
Set the lens's focus mode switch to .
Turn the Mode dial to a Creative Zone.
Press the button.
Select the AF operation.
Press the keys.
: One-Shot AF
: AI Focus AF
: AI Servo AF
In Live View shooting, press the button, then select [AF operation].
: One-Shot AF
: Servo AF
- AF is also possible by pressing the button.
One-Shot AF for Still Subjects
This AF operation is suited for still subjects. When you press the shutter button halfway, the camera will focus only once.
Live View shooting
- Once a subject is in focus, the focusing AF point turns green and the camera beeps. If focus is not achieved, the AF point will turn orange.
- If [: Beep] is set to [Disable], the beeper will not sound when focus is achieved.
- The focus remains locked while you hold down the shutter button halfway, allowing you to recompose the image before taking the picture. This is called “focus lock.”
- See Lens Electronic MF when using a lens that supports electronic manual focusing.
AI Servo AF (Viewfinder Shooting) or Servo AF (Live View Shooting) for Moving Subjects
This AF operation is suited for moving subjects. While you hold down the shutter button halfway, the camera will keep focusing on the subject continuously.
AI Servo AF (viewfinder shooting)
- Once a subject is in focus, the focusing AF point is displayed. The focus indicator in the viewfinder does not light up when subjects are in focus.
Servo AF (Live View shooting)
- Once a subject is in focus, the focusing AF point turns blue.
- The beeper will not sound even when focus is achieved.
- The exposure is set at the moment the picture is taken.
AI Focus AF (Viewfinder Shooting) for Automatic Switching of AF Operation
AF operation automatically switches from [One-Shot AF] to [AI Servo AF] based on subject status.
- After the camera uses [One-Shot AF] to focus on a subject, if it detects subject movement, a change in distance, or similar changes, it switches to [AI Servo AF] and continues to track the moving subject.
- The camera continues beeping quietly when subjects are in focus using the servo.
- The focus indicator in the viewfinder does not light up when subjects are in focus using the servo.
- Shooting with the focus locked is not possible when the servo is used.
- In mode in Live View shooting, [AI Focus AF] is used to focus. Note that [Servo AF] is used to focus on moving subjects. When focus is achieved, the AF point will turn blue. Note that the camera does not switch to [Servo AF] if the subject moves during continuous shooting.
In viewfinder shooting, the built-in flash or a Speedlite can emit an AF-assist beam to make autofocusing easier under low light or in other conditions where autofocusing is difficult.
- With the built-in flash, the AF-assist beam fires as needed after you raise the flash and press the shutter button halfway.
- With a Speedlite, configure the setting on the Speedlite as needed.
- The flash does not emit an AF-assist beam when AF operation is set to [AI Servo AF].
- To disable AF-assist beam firing, set [: AF-assist beam firing] to [Disable].