If the card is new or was previously formatted (initialized) by another camera or computer, format the card with this camera.
- When the card is formatted, all images and data on the card will be erased. Even protected images will be erased, so make sure there is nothing you need to keep. If necessary, transfer the images and data to a computer, etc. before formatting the card.
Select [: Format card].
Select a card.
-  represents card 1, and , card 2.
- Select the card.
Format the card.
- Select [OK].
- For low-level formatting, press the button to add a checkmark  to [Low level format], then select [OK].
Conditions requiring card formatting
- The card is new.
- The card was formatted by a different camera or a computer.
- The card is full of images or data.
- A card-related error is displayed ().
- Perform low-level formatting if the card's writing or reading speed seems slow or if you want to totally erase the data on the card.
- Since low-level formatting will format all recordable sectors on the card, the formatting will take longer than normal formatting.
- During low-level formatting, you can cancel formatting by selecting [Cancel]. Even in this case, normal formatting will already be complete and you can use the card as usual.
Card file formats
- SD/SDHC cards will be formatted in FAT. SDXC cards will be formatted in exFAT.
- Individual movies recorded to exFAT-formatted cards are recorded as a single file (without splitting them into multiple files) even if they exceed 4 GB, so the resulting movie file will exceed 4 GB.
- It may not be possible to use SDXC cards formatted with this camera in other cameras. Also note that exFAT-formatted cards may not be recognized by some computer operating systems or card readers.
- Formatting or erasing data on a card does not completely erase the data. Be aware of this when selling or discarding the card. When disposing of cards, take steps to protect personal information if necessary, as by physically destroying cards.
- The card capacity displayed on the card format screen may be smaller than the capacity indicated on the card.
- This device incorporates exFAT technology licensed from Microsoft.