You can choose the method of shutter release.
Select [: Shutter mode].
Select an option.
Shooting activates the mechanical shutter. Recommended when shooting with the aperture of a bright lens wide open.
Camera vibration blur may be reduced more than with the mechanical shutter, under some shooting conditions.
Flash sync shutter speed can be set higher than with the mechanical shutter.
Enables reduced sound and vibration from shutter operations, compared to mechanical shutter or electronic first-curtain.
Recommended when shooting with the aperture of a bright lens wide open.
Maximum shutter speed can be set higher than for mechanical shutter or electronic first-curtain.
- A white frame is displayed around the screen when [: Drive mode] is set to  or .
- Shutter operations are accompanied by beeps. You can disable beeping in [: Beep].
Defocused image areas may be incomplete when shooting near maximum aperture at high shutter speeds, depending on shooting conditions. If you dislike the appearance of defocused image areas, shooting as follows may give better results.
- Shoot with an option other than [Elec. 1st-curtain].
- Lower the shutter speed.
- Increase the aperture value.
- Setting [: Silent shutter function] to [On] sets the shutter mode to [Electronic].
- Zooming during continuous shooting may cause changes in exposure even at the same f/number. For details, refer to the Canon website ().
- Depending on the lens used, consider shooting with [Elec. 1st-curtain] or [Electronic] to ensure effective image stabilization. For details, refer to the lens instruction manual.
Precautions when set to [Elec. 1st-curtain]
- Camera vibration blur is more likely to occur with  than with  or .
Precautions when set to [Electronic]
- The continuous shooting speed may become slower depending on the shooting conditions.
- Images of fast-moving subjects may look distorted.
- Images may lack suitable exposure if the aperture value changes in (Program AE), (Shutter-priority AE), or (Flexible-priority AE) shooting.
- With some lenses and under some shooting conditions, lens focusing and aperture adjustment may be audible.
- Bands of light may be displayed and captured images may be affected by light and dark banding if you shoot with electronic shutter during flash firing by other cameras or under fluorescent lighting or other flickering light sources.
- Banding may appear in the viewfinder or on the screen if you shoot under flickering light sources.