Manual Exposure Mode (M)
In this mode, you set both the shutter speed and aperture value as desired. To determine the exposure, refer to the exposure level indicator in the viewfinder or use a commercially available exposure meter.
stands for Manual.
Set the Mode dial to .
Set the ISO speed.
Set the shutter speed and aperture value.
- To set the shutter speed (1), turn the dial, and to set the aperture value (2), turn the dial.
Focus on the subject.
- Press the shutter button halfway.
(1) Standard exposure index
(2) Exposure level mark
- The exposure setting will be displayed in the viewfinder.
- Check the exposure level mark to see how far the current exposure level is from the standard exposure level.
Set the exposure and take the picture.
- Check the exposure level indicator and set the desired shutter speed and aperture value.
- or is shown at the ends of the exposure level indicator if the exposure level exceeds ±3 stops (or in the viewfinder, ±2 stops) from standard exposure.
Exposure Compensation with ISO Auto
- [: Expo.comp./AEB]
- By holding down and turning the dial when  in the [13: Custom Controls] setting of [: Custom Functions(C.Fn)] is set to [Expo comp (hold btn, turn )].
- Quick Control screen
- Exposure may not be as expected when ISO Auto is set, because the ISO speed is adjusted to ensure standard exposure for your specified shutter speed and aperture value. In this case, set the exposure compensation.
- Exposure compensation is not applied in flash photography with ISO Auto, even if you have set an exposure compensation amount.
- To enable Auto Lighting Optimizer to be specified in mode as well, clear the  mark for [Disable during man expo] in [: Auto Lighting Optimizer] ().
- When ISO Auto is set, you can press the button to lock the ISO speed.
- If you press the button and recompose the shot, you can see the exposure level difference on the exposure level indicator compared to when the button was pressed.
- Any existing exposure compensation amount is maintained if you switch to mode with ISO Auto after using exposure compensation in , , or mode ().
- To coordinate exposure compensation in ½-stop increments with ISO speed set in ⅓-stop increments when [1: Exposure level increments] in [: Custom Functions(C.Fn)] is set to [1:1/2-stop] and used with ISO Auto, exposure compensation is further adjusted by adjusting shutter speed. However, the shutter speed displayed will not change.