Using stroboscopic flash at low shutter speeds enables you to capture continuous movement in a single shot, as in sequential photography.
For stroboscopic flash, set the flash output, flash count, and flash frequency (flash count per second, equivalent to Hz). For details on the maximum continuous flash count, see Maximum continuous flash count.
Select with the joystick.
Set the flash mode to .
- Press the joystick vertically or horizontally or turn to select , then push the joystick straight in.
Push the joystick straight in, then select an item.
- Press the joystick vertically or horizontally or turn the to select the flash frequency (1), flash count (2), or flash output (3), then push the joystick straight in.
Set the value.
- Press the joystick horizontally or turn to set the value, then push the joystick straight in.
- Repeat steps 3–4 until the flash frequency, count, and output are all configured.
Calculating the Shutter Speed
To ensure that the shutter remains open until all stroboscopic firing is finished, calculate a shutter speed to set on the camera as follows.
Flash count ÷ flash frequency = shutter speed
For example, when flash count is set to 10 (times) and flash frequency to 5 (Hz), set the shutter speed to at least 2 sec.
- To avoid wearing out or damaging flash heads from overheating, do not use stroboscopic flash repeatedly more than 30 times. After 30 times, stop using the Speedlite for at least 10 min.
- Shooting more than 30 times may activate a safety function and restrict flash firing. In this case, stop using the Speedlite for at least 40 min.
- Stroboscopic flash is most effective for highly reflective subjects against a dark background.
- Using a tripod and remote switch is recommended.
- Flash output cannot be set to 1/1 or 1/2.
- Stroboscopic flash is also available when the camera is in Bulb () shooting mode.
- A flash count display of “----” indicates that the Speedlite will fire continuously until the shutter closes or the charge runs out, with the maximum flash count as listed in Maximum continuous flash count.
- High-speed sync () is not available with stroboscopic flash.
Maximum continuous flash count
Maximum flash count is as follows when the flash count is indicated as “----” (bar display).
|Flash Output / Hz||1||2||3||4||5||6–7||8–9|
|Flash Output / Hz||10||11||12–14||15–19||20–50||60–199||250–500|