The multi-function shoe is a hot shoe that supplies power to accessories and offers advanced communication functionality.
Using the Multi-Function Shoe
Removing the shoe cover
- Remove the shoe cover (1) by pressing the part labeled (A) in the figure as shown with your finger. After removal, keep the shoe cover in a convenient place to avoid losing it.
- When attaching accessories that communicate through contacts of the multi-function shoe, insert the accessory's mounting foot until it clicks into place, then slide the mounting foot locking lever to secure it. For details, refer to the accessory's Instruction Manual.
The following accessories cannot be attached directly to the multi-function shoe.
- Speedlite EL-1/600EXII-RT/600EX-RT/580EX II
- Speedlite Transmitter ST-E3-RT (Ver. 2)/ST-E3-RT
- Off-Camera Shoe Cord OC-E3
- To use the accessories listed above with the camera, you will need Multi-Function Shoe Adapter AD-E1, sold separately. For details, refer to the AD-E1 Instruction Manual.
- When attaching accessories other than these that are designed for regular hot shoes, insert the accessory's mounting foot all the way in, then slide the mounting foot locking lever to secure it. For details, refer to the accessory's Instruction Manual.
- Electronic Viewfinder EVF-DC2/EVF-DC1 cannot be attached to the multi-function shoe. Attempting to attach it by force may damage it or the multi-function shoe.
Attaching the shoe cover
- After removing accessories from the multi-function shoe, reattach the shoe cover to protect the contacts from dust and water.
- Slide the shoe cover all the way in by pressing the part labeled (B) in the figure, as shown.
- Attach accessories correctly as described in Attaching accessories. Loose attachment may cause the camera or accessories to malfunction, and accessories may fall off.
- Blow off any foreign material on the multi-function shoe with a commercially available blower or similar tool.
- Allow the multi-function shoe to dry before use if it gets wet.