This section describes ways to customize AF operation. You can also use a combination of customized settings.
Switching AF Areas with the Dial
You can switch AF areas with the dial as you look through the viewfinder.
In [: Customize dials], select .
Select [Select AF area].
- You can now switch AF areas with the dial.
Choosing One Subject from Several People with
You can choose one subject from several people to lock the tracking frame on that person.
Before this customization, some other settings must be set as follows.
- [AF area]: [Whole area AF]
- [Whole area tracking Servo AF]: [On]
- [Subject to detect]: [People]
- [Eye detection]: Other than [Disable]
In [: Customize buttons], set  to [Direct AF point selection].
Press the button, and in [Direct sel. on press], select [Start/stop whole area AF tracking].
Press the shutter button halfway, then release it.
- A tracking frame () is displayed if multiple subjects are detected.
Use to set your preferred subject.
Either press straight in or press it left or right.
The tracking frame changes to  and locks on to that subject for tracking.
- To release locked tracking, press .
-  is not displayed on both sides of the frame during Servo AF, even if multiple subjects are detected.
- During Servo AF, it is not possible to switch to a different type of subject than the one being tracked.
Adjusting the Zone AF Frame Size
You can resize the Zone AF frame displayed for Flexible Zone AF 1–3.
Press the button during shooting screen display.
Press the button repeatedly, select Flexible Zone AF 1, 2, or 3, then press the button.
Adjust the Zone AF frame size.
- Use the or dial to adjust the Zone AF frame size, then press the button.
- To restore the default setting, press the button.