M: Manual Exposure
In this mode, you set both the shutter speed and aperture value as desired. To determine the exposure, refer to the exposure level indicator or use a commercially available exposure meter.
stands for Manual.
Set the Mode dial to .
Set the shutter speed and aperture value.
- To set the shutter speed, turn the dial, and to set the aperture value, turn the dial.
Focus on the subject.
- Press the shutter button halfway.
- Check the exposure level mark  to see how far the current exposure level is from the standard exposure level.
(1) Standard exposure index
(2) Exposure level mark
Set the exposure and take the picture.
- Check the exposure level indicator and set the desired shutter speed and aperture value.
Exposure Compensation with ISO Auto
- Tap the exposure level indicator
- [: Expo.comp./AEB]
- Turn the control ring while pressing the shutter button halfway
- Exposure may not be as expected when ISO Auto is set, because the ISO speed is adjusted to ensure standard exposure for your specified shutter speed and aperture value. In this case, set the exposure compensation.
- Exposure compensation is not applied in flash photography with ISO Auto, even if you have set an exposure compensation amount.
- ISO speed is locked when you hold down the shutter button halfway after subjects are in focus with One-Shot AF in mode with ISO Auto, (Evaluative metering), and [: AE lock meter. mode after focus] set to the default setting ().
- When ISO Auto is set, you can press the button to lock the ISO speed.
- If you press the button and recompose the shot, you can see the exposure level difference on the exposure level indicator compared to when the button was pressed.
- Any existing exposure compensation amount is maintained if you switch to mode with ISO Auto after using exposure compensation in , , or mode ().
- To coordinate exposure compensation in ½-stop increments with ISO speed set in ⅓-stop increments when [: Exposure level increments] is set to [1/2-stop] and used with ISO Auto, exposure compensation is further adjusted by adjusting shutter speed. However, the shutter speed displayed will not change.