Flash Control from the Camera's Menu Screen
When using EOS DIGITAL cameras released in and after 2007, you can set flash functions or Custom Functions from the camera's menu screen.
For camera operations, refer to the camera's Instruction Manual.
Flash Function Settings
Select [External Speedlite control].
- Select [External Speedlite control] or [Flash control].
Select [Flash function settings].
- Select [Flash function settings] or [External flash func. setting].
- The setting screen is displayed.
Set the function.
- The setting screen and items displayed vary depending on the camera.
- Select an item and set the function.
Settings Available on the Flash Function Settings Screen
EOS DIGITAL cameras released in and after 2012
On the camera's [Flash function settings] or [External flash func. setting] screen, you can configure normal shooting, radio transmission wireless shooting, or optical transmission wireless shooting settings.
Although the EOS REBEL T100/4000D/3000D, EOS REBEL T7/1500D/2000D, EOS REBEL T6/1300D and EOS REBEL T5/1200D was released from 2012 onwards, the settable functions are the same as with the EOS DIGITAL cameras released from 2007 to 2011.
EOS DIGITAL cameras released from 2007 to 2011
EOS-1Ds Mark III, EOS-1D Mark IV/III, EOS 5D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 60D, EOS 50D, EOS 40D, EOS REBEL T3i/600D, EOS REBEL T2i/550D, EOS REBEL T1i/500D, EOS REBEL XSi/450D, EOS REBEL T3/1100D, EOS REBEL XS/1000D
On the camera's [Flash function settings] or [External flash func. setting] screen, you can configure the normal shooting or optical transmission wireless shooting settings. To use "Radio transmission wireless shooting", set the functions by operating the flash.
The configurable functions are as follows. The settings available vary by the camera used, flash mode, and wireless function settings, etc.
|Flash firing||Enable / Disable|
|E-TTL balance||Ambience priority / Standard / Flash priority|
|E-TTL II meter.||Eval (FacePrty) / Evaluative / Average|
|Contin flash ctrl||E-TTL each shot / E-TTL 1st shot|
|Flash sync. speed in Av mode|
|Flash mode||E-TTL II flash metering (Autoflash) / Manual flash / MULTI flash (stroboscopic) / Auto external flash metering / Manual external flash metering / Continuous shooting priority mode|
|Wireless functions||Wireless:Off / Radio Transmission / Optical Transmission|
|Flash zoom (flash coverage)|
|Shutter synchronization||First-curtain synchronization / Second-curtain synchronization / High-speed synchronization|
|Flash exposure compensation|
|Flash exposure bracketing|
To perform flash photography, set to [Enable]. To use the flash's AF-assist beam only, set to [Disable].
You can set the finish (taste) of the flash photo according to your preference. Depending on the settings, you can change the flash ratio between the ambient light and flash light.
E-TTL II meter.
When this is set to [Eval (FacePrty)], the flash is adjusted to suit the subject. The continuous shooting speed during high-speed continuous shooting is lower than [Evaluative] or [Average]. When [Evaluative] is set, flash control is performed with priority given to firing during continuous shooting. If [Average] is set, the flash exposure will be averaged for the entire scene metered. Flash exposure compensation may be necessary depending on the scene.
Contin flash ctrl
When this is set to [E-TTL each shot], the flash is adjusted for every shot. When this is set to [E-TTL 1st shot], the flash is adjusted only once before continuous shooting. The second and subsequent shots will also be taken with the flash output of the first shot. Effective when you want to prioritize the continuous shooting speed without changing the composition.
Flash sync. speed in Av mode
You can set the flash synchronization speed when shooting in the aperture-priority AE mode with Speedlite.
You can select the flash mode from [E-TTL II flash metering], [Manual flash], [MULTI flash (stroboscopic)], [Auto external flash metering], and [Manual external flash metering] or [Continuous shooting priority mode] to suit your desired flash photography.
You can set radio transmission wireless flash shooting and optical transmission wireless flash shooting. For details, refer to "Radio Transmission Wireless Flash Shooting" and "Optical Transmission Wireless Flash Shooting".
Flash zoom (flash coverage)
You can set the Speedlite flash coverage. When [Auto] is selected, the flash coverage is set automatically according to the focal length of the shooting lens and the image sensor size of the camera ().
You can select the flash firing timing / method from [First-curtain synchronization], [Second-curtain synchronization], or [High-speed synchronization]. To perform normal flash shooting, set [First-curtain synchronization].
Flash exposure compensation
With a similar procedure as exposure compensation, you can adjust the flash output. The flash exposure compensation amount can be set up to ±3 stops in 1/3-stop increments.
Flash exposure bracketing
You can take three shots while automatically changing the flash output. The settable range is up to ±3 stops in 1/3-stop increments.
When [Clear flash settings] or [Clear settings] is selected, you can revert the settings of the flash to their default settings.
- If the flash coverage is automatically set such as when the bounce adapter is attached or the wide panel is used, setting [Flash zoom] (flash coverage) is not possible.
- [Built-in flash firing] and [E-TTL II meter.] are displayed in step 2 or step 3 in the "Flash Function Settings" (Display layouts and procedures vary by camera model).
- When the flash exposure compensation is set on the flash, flash exposure compensation cannot be performed from the camera. If both are set at the same time, priority is given to the setting on the flash.
Flash C.Fn Settings
You can set Custom Functions for the flash from the camera's menu screen. The details displayed vary by the camera used. If C.Fn-21 to 23 are not displayed, set them by operating the Speedlite. For custom functions, refer to "Settings that can be changed with Custom Functions".
Select [Flash C.Fn settings].
- Select [Flash C.Fn settings] or [External flash C.Fn setting].
Set the Custom Function.
- Select the Custom Function number (1), then set the function.
- To clear all the Custom Function settings, select [Clear settings] in step 1, and select [Clear all Speedlite C.Fn's] or [Clear ext. flash C.Fn set.].
- When using a camera released in 2011 or earlier, or with EOS REBEL T100/4000D/3000D, EOS REBEL T7/1500D/2000D, EOS REBEL T6/1300D or EOS REBEL T5/1200D, the C.Fn-21 to 23 settings are not cleared even if [Clear all Speedlite C.Fn's] or [Clear ext. flash C.Fn set.] is selected. When the procedure described in "Clearing All the Custom/Personal Functions" on page is performed (), all the Custom Functions (except C.Fn-00) are cleared.
- Personal Functions (P.Fn) cannot be set or all cleared at once from the camera's menu screen. Set them by operating the flash.