Troubleshoot any issues as described below.
Installation cannot be completed correctly
- Install the application from an administrator account (by setting the current user to [Computer administrator] or [Administrator], for example). Installation without administrator rights is not possible. For details on using administrator accounts, refer to the computer documentation.
- Installation is not possible unless an administrator account is used. Log in again using an administrator account. For details on logging in and using administrator accounts, refer to macOS documentation.
EU does not start up
- EU cannot start up when the EOS 6D, REBEL T6s/760D, REBEL T6i/750D, REBEL T7/2000D/1500D, REBEL T6/1300D, M6, M5, M3, M10, or M100 is connected to a computer with an interface cable and the camera's Wi-Fi setting is enabled. Disable the Wi-Fi setting and reconnect the camera and computer.
- EU cannot start up when a camera that has a [: Choose USB connection app] menu is set to [Canon app(s) for iPhone] while connected to the computer with the interface cable. Disconnect the interface cable, change the setting to [Photo Import/Remote Control], then reconnect the camera and computer.
The card reader does not detect the SD card
- Depending on the card reader used, SDXC cards may not be correctly detected. In this case, connect the camera to the computer with the interface cable, then import the images to the computer using EOS Utility.
EU and the camera are not communicating
- Click the  icon on the taskbar, select [Quit], then double-click the [EOS Utility] desktop icon to start EU.
- EU will not work correctly unless the computer meets the system requirements. Use EU on a computer that meets the system requirements ().
- Insert the interface cable fully into the port, facing the right way. Incorrect connections may cause errors and damage the camera or computer ().
- Make sure the camera is on ().
- EU and the camera may not communicate correctly with cables other than genuine Canon interface cables for EOS cameras ().
- Connect the camera directly to the computer with an interface cable. Do not connect via a hub, which may prevent normal communication between EU and the camera.
- Normal communication may not be possible with multiple USB devices other than the mouse and keyboard connected to the computer. If the camera is not communicating normally, disconnect USB devices other than the mouse and keyboard.
- Do not connect more than one camera to the same computer. This may prevent normal camera operation.
- Do not connect the camera to the computer during linked shooting with a Wireless File Transmitter (sold separately). This may prevent normal camera operation.
- The camera cannot communicate with EU unless the battery is sufficiently charged. Replace with a fully charged battery. Some cameras can be powered by household power, using an accessory (sold separately). For details, refer to the camera instruction manual. Note that the computer does not supply power to the camera via the interface cable.
Communication between EU and the camera ends
- In some computer environments, a confirmation message may be displayed asking whether to continue communicating with the camera, if you do not perform any operations while the camera and computer are connected. Continuing to leave the system idle after this message will automatically end communication with the camera and close EU. If so, set the camera power switch to OFF, then ON, and then start EU.
- Do not allow the computer to enter sleep mode while it is connected to the camera. If the computer does enter sleep mode, never disconnect the interface cable, and always wake the computer while leaving the camera connected. Some computers may not recover from sleep correctly if the interface cable is disconnected while they are in sleep mode. For details on sleep, refer to the computer documentation.
Non-Canon flash units do not fire in Remote Live View shooting
- When a non-Canon flash unit is attached to the camera in Remote Live View shooting, set [Soft LV shooting] or [Silent LV shoot.] on the camera to [Disable].