Shooting with Speedlites
- EL/EX Series Speedlites for EOS Cameras
- Canon Speedlites Other Than the EL/EX Series
- Non-Canon Flash Units
- Quick Flash Group Control
EL/EX Series Speedlites for EOS Cameras
Features of EL/EX series Speedlites (sold separately) can be used in flash photography with the camera.
For instructions, refer to the EL/EX series Speedlite's Instruction Manual.
- The Speedlite will fire an intermittent AF-assist beam as needed, if autofocusing is difficult under low light.
- You can also set flash exposure compensation in [External flash func. setting] in [: Flash control] ().
- The camera can turn on certain Speedlites automatically when the camera is turned on. For details, refer to the instruction manual of Speedlites that support this feature.
Canon Speedlites Other Than the EL/EX Series
With an EZ/E/EG/ML/TL series Speedlite set to A-TTL or TTL autoflash mode, the flash can be fired at full output only.
Set the camera's shooting mode to M or Av and adjust the aperture value before shooting.
- When using a Speedlite that has manual flash mode, shoot in manual flash mode.
Non-Canon Flash Units
The camera can synchronize with non-Canon compact flash units at up to 1/250 sec. With large studio flash units, the flash duration is longer than that of a compact flash unit and varies depending on the model. Before shooting, confirm that flash sync is performed correctly by taking some test shots at a sync speed of approx. 1/60 sec. to 1/30 sec.
- Manually lower the built-in flash before attaching an external flash unit.
- Using the camera with a dedicated flash unit or flash accessory for cameras of other manufacturers poses a risk of malfunction and even damage.
- Do not attach a high-voltage flash unit to the camera's multi-function shoe. It may not fire.
Quick Flash Group Control
As you view the shooting screen in wireless multi-flash photography, you can configure the settings for each flash group by pressing the button assigned to [Quick flash group control] in [: Customize buttons]. This example is based on assigning the button ().
Set the flash firing mode to (individual group control) to prepare for wireless multi-flash photography.
- For details, refer to the instruction manuals of flash units supporting wireless multi-flash photography.
During standby, press the button.
- A setting screen for each flash group is displayed.
- Press the keys to select a group (A–E) to configure.
- Press the button to set the flash mode.
- Turn the dial to adjust flash output or flash exposure compensation.
- You can access the [Quick flash group control] setting screen in P, Tv, Av, or M mode.
- Pressing the button displays the [External flash func. setting] screen for Speedlites in flash modes other than (individual group control).