ISO Speed Settings for Still Photos
Set the ISO speed (image sensor’s sensitivity to light) to suit the ambient light level.
In Basic Zone modes, ISO speed is set automatically.
For details on ISO speed in movie recording, see ISO Speed in Movie Recording.
Tap the ISO speed icon.
Set the ISO speed.
- Set by pressing the keys.
- ISO speed can be set within ISO 100–25600 in 1/3-stop increments.
- With [AUTO] selected, ISO speed is set automatically.
- When [AUTO] is selected, pressing the shutter button halfway will display the ISO speed actually set.
- To specify [AUTO] when setting [ISO speed] in [: ISO speed settings] (shown above), press the button.
ISO speed guide
- Low ISO speeds reduce image noise but may increase the risk of camera/subject shake or reduce the area in focus (shallower depth of field), in some shooting conditions.
- High ISO speeds enable low-light shooting, a larger area in focus (deeper depth of field), and longer flash range but may increase image noise.
- Setting [: Highlight tone priority] to [Enable] or [Enhanced] will prevent you from selecting ISO 100/125/160 or [H] (equivalent to ISO 51200) ().
- Shooting in high temperatures may result in images that look grainier. Long exposures may also cause irregular colors in the image.
- When you shoot at high ISO speeds, noise (such as dots of light and banding) may become noticeable.
- If you use a high ISO speed and flash to shoot a close subject, overexposure may result.
- When shooting in conditions that produce an extreme amount of noise, such as a combination of high ISO speed, high temperature, and long exposure, images may not be recorded properly.
- As “H” (equivalent to ISO 51200) is an expanded ISO speed setting, noise (dots of light, banding, etc.) and irregular colors will be more noticeable, and the resolution will be lower compared to the standard setting.
Maximum [AUTO] ISO Speed
For ISO Auto, you can set the maximum ISO speed limit within ISO 400–25600.
Select [: ISO speed settings].
Select [Max for Auto].
- Select [Max for Auto], then press .
Select the ISO speed.
- Select the ISO speed, then press .